Spacebeam is a distributed open-source research & development community that conducts multidisciplinary work on distributed systems, artificial intelligence and high-performance computing.
Our Mission: provide open-source tools for play, work and science!
Our Goal: a distributed workspace environment for machines of all ages.
The problem: Brood War
StarCraft: Brood War represent a well defined environment with a number of interesting challenges on:
- Information gathering
- Dealing with uncertainty
- Domain knowledge exploitation
- Spatial reasoning
Simplicity and principles
Simplicity means that the basic principles of your system, the underlying basic principles on which everything is built should be very simple.
- Functions are a form of objects.
- Message passing and function calling are analogous.
- Asynchronous message passing is necessary for non-blocking systems.
- Selective receive allow to ignore messages uninteresting now.
Team up with scientists, artists and hackers that spawn network resources where you'll find new tools and information models.
To achieve our goal we focus on general-purpose strategies that networks learn from experience on different challenges and environments.